Sunday, April 15, 2007

april is the cruellest month ...

Or is it? I wonder this in my current state of finally beginning to feel balanced. I do not know how long it will last or if it will last ... but I truly hope it does. Balance ... but buying my plane ticket for my Portland (OR) trip has brought me the gift of something to look forward to ...

But it is cruel to partner Poetry Month with both paying taxes and Alcohol Awareness Month. Maybe T.S. Eliot was privvy to the information of when Poetry Month would happen when he wrote these beautiful lines in The Waste Land.

from The Waste Land by T.S. Eliot

April is the cruellest month, breeding
lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
memory and desire, stirring
dull roots with spring rain.

Eliot's line breaks always fascinate me ... they are so intuitive, effortless. He has a balance -- image and emotion balanced delicately like nature, like a dancer in a get-up walking the tightrope above our clamboring heads ...

I hope everyone's April is proving to be uncruel and perhaps beautiful in the way of words and emotion, balance.

No comments: